1. Can you tell me more about The Villages?
The Villages is a licensed and accredited child-placing agency. Established in 1978 through an initiative of the Lilly Endowment, The Villages currently has more than 20 offices located strategically throughout Indiana providing community-based services and support to children and families. For more detailed information, please visit our About Us pages.
2. Who are The Villages therapeutic foster parents?
They are trained and licensed adults in our communities who:
- Are 21 years of age or older
- Own or rent their own home with adequate space for a foster child
- Are single or married
- Have children, grown children, or are just beginning a family
- Have strong community connections and supports
3. What do The Villages’ therapeutic foster parents do?
They provide a safe and nurturing home for children who have been removed from their families typically due to concerns about their personal health, safety, or well-being. Additionally, our foster parents receive training and support to meet the extensive emotional and medical needs of children while helping them transition to reunification with their own family, adoption, or independent living.
4. What is involved in becoming a Villages’ therapeutic foster parent?
Therapeutic foster parent candidates must complete state licensing requirements that include:
- 20 hours of pre-service training
- Physical exam
- Child abuse and sex abuse registry checks
- Criminal background checks
- Positive references
- Stable income (able to meet own family’s needs)
- Home visits and environmental checks
- First Aid, CPR, and Universal Precautions Certifications
5. What kind of support services do The Villages’ therapeutic foster parents receive?
- Ongoing training and development (20 hours per year requirement)
- 24 hour staff support
- Counseling services for foster children
- Financial reimbursement for care of foster children
- Support groups
- Respite care
6.How long does it take to become a foster parent?
Given the urgent need for foster homes, every attempt is made to expedite the licensing process.
The typical time period is three to six months. This is dependent upon the agency’s staffing resources, the scheduling of training classes and home visits, and the length of time it takes the prospective foster parent to fulfill licensing requirements.
Classes are presented in different formats, such as weekly, multiple weekends, or two nights per week. Contact an office near you for additional information.
7. How can I learn more about becoming a Villages therapeutic foster parent?
Contact The Villages at 1-800-874-6880 or fill out a foster parent inquiry form if you have not already done so. We look forward to welcoming you into our family!